Bittersweet Chocolate-Banana Pudding
Adapted from: Vegetable Heaven
Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus at least 2 hours to chill
Yield: 4 - 6 servings
It's hard to believe this
rich-tasting, velvety-smooth dessert contains no dairy products.
Silken tofu makes it all possible.
- The chocolate flavor is very deep when
you make this with 3/4 cup chocolate chips, and downright intense
if you add the full cup. You can vary the amount according to your
- This keeps very well for several days if tightly covered and
3/4 to 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 10 to 12-ounce box silken tofu (soft or firm)
2 large, ripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 to 3 tablespoons light brown sugar (to taste)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon raspberry vinegar
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler (or in a microwave
at a low power).
- Meanwhile, place the tofu and a handful of banana chunks in a
blender and begin to purŽe. Gradually add the remaining
banana, processing between additions to make sure it all whips up
smoothly. Add the vanilla, sugar, salt, and vinegar as you go.
- Pour in the melted chocolate, scraping in every last bit.
PurŽe one more time until very smooth and uniform, and taste
to adjust sugar. Transfer to a container or to individual serving
dishes, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 2
hours before serving.