Very Crunchy Granola
From the upcoming "Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Café"
Yield: 6 cups or more, depending on how many additonal ingredients you choose to add
The very best! So good, my husband actually asked me to make this less often.
Granola should be crunchy. Very crunchy. And here's a recipe that really works! It's very filling, so if you eat this for breakfast, especially with fresh fruit and any kind of milk or yogurt added, you'll be satisfied for hours afterwards!
If you can't find barley flakes, you can sutbsitute wheat flakes or just use all rolled oats.
If you're adding wheat germ, do so right at serving time, directly from the freezer, so the oil won't break down.
Nonstick spray for the baking tray
3 cups rolled oat flakes
1 cup barley flakes
1 cup oat bran
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup chopped almonds
3/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup light honey or maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup soy protein powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup (packed) brown sugar
1 cup pumpkin seeds (optional, but highly recommended!)
Other possible additions:
1/2 cup sesame seeds
Up to 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
Up to 1 cup other kinds of nuts, chopped
Dried fruit (add after it is baked)
Wheat germ (add after it is baked)
Up to 1 cup roasted soy beans (add after it is baked)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 13 X 18-inch baking tray with nonstick spray.
- Place the flakes, bran, sunflower seeds, and almonds in a large bowl. (Also look through the list of "other possible additons" and add sesame seeds, coconut, or other nuts, if desired.)
- Combine the oil, honey or syrup and vanilla extract, and pour this in. Mix thoroughly. (Use your hands, if necessary.)
- Stir in the protein powder and salt, and mix throughly (again, use your hands).
- Bake for 40 or 50 minutes, stirring a few times--until golden.
- Crumble in sugar as soon as it comes out of the oven. and let it melt in. Cool it on the tray, and add the pumpkin seeds as it cools. NOTE: The granola will get crunchy as it cools!
- Store it in a tightly closed jar in the freezer for maximum freshness.